Sign up TODAY! Our Home Decor Intensive runs from March 20- April 23, 2017 in the Textile Design Lab and includes:
1. Our Sellable Sketch Home Group-Study, which starts on March 20, 2017. In the Sellable Sketch Home Group-Study we work through our standard Sellable Sketch course, but you also receive bonus emails which are focused on the home decor industry. You’ll also receive free access to WGSN Home for the five week duration of the course.
2. We are excited to announce that our home decor expert, Laura Olivia, will be joining us for a live training event in April. Laura will be sharing her tips for developing collections for the home decor industry and will be available for questions immediately following the presentation.
3. We will also be highlighting home decor training from past guest experts including: Jackie Shapiro, founder of French Bull, Kat Karnaky of Williams Sonoma Home and Caroline Cecil.
This event is FREE for all Textile Design Lab members. Grab your spot here.
Cheryl Phelps is a freelance Illustrator, Designer, Art Licensor, Art Licensing Consultant/Coach and Adjunct Professor. She has over 35 years of experience designing for the Gift and Stationery markets and we are delighted to welcome her to the Lab!
In this guest expert training Cheryl covers:
1. Designing for the Stationery, Gift and Other Art Licensing Markets
2. Template Formats
3 .Designing Thematic Collections for Everyday and Seasonal
4. Trade Shows for Art Licensing, Agents and Reps and Outright Sales- Flat Fee and Art Licensing Deals
This training is FREE for all TDL members. Get started here.
Our new design challenge for the month of March explores uneven edges, focusing on brush strokes, collage, and spray paint. We know this more abstract design theme will strongly appeal to some of you, and really challenge others…but that’s a good thing! If you find yourself in the latter group, see how you can apply this trend to your own style. You don’t necessarily have to create a fully abstract print–for instance, if your comfort zone is drawing life-like flowers, you might try layering your drawings with pieces of torn paper for a fresh, modern mix. Or if you love creating precise geometrics in Illustrator, play with filling some of the shapes with a spray-paint inspired texture. Members can get started here.
Monday March 13th – backbeats due on the forum (more info about backbeats can be found in The Sellable Sketch, Lesson Three.)
Monday April 3rd – finished collections due on the forum! Collections should consist of 3-5 prints (one “moneymaker” print and 2-4 coordinates.)
Weekly Art Critique
Don’t forget to join us for our live art critiques held every Thursday at 1pm Eastern. This is a fun event where Lab members come together to review artwork and ask questions about pattern design, marketing and sales. Registration links are emailed out every Thursday morning.
Textile Design Lab members can watch past critiques here.